Thera is the main town of the island. It overlooks the
Caldera from 260 meters over the see.
It takes its name by Theras, a doric leader that lived in the
island in IX century B.C.
Established in 1810, it is the life center of the island,
with its tavernas, cafè, art shops a jewelries..
The town spreads out along the edge of the cliff to reach the
village of Firostefani. The
narrow step alleys called "kalderimia" are typical, together
with the houses leaning one on the other on the edge of the
caldera, with the court of the previous being the roof of the
From the old harbour, that can be reached by a path
about 500 steps long (20 minutes on foot, something less on a
mule, 5 minutes by the cableway), excursions by caique leave
regularly along the Caldera. During the excursions it is
possible to visit the new volcano (Nea
Kameni), take a swim in the hot springs (at Palea Kameni) and
eventually go to the island of Thirasia.